What’s happening at the nature center
There are a number of events coming up at Lehigh Gap Nature Center, located at 8844 Paint Mill Road, Slatington.
• Oct. 17: Retiring Executive Director Dan Kunkle will reflect on his time leading Lehigh Gap Nature Center during the center’s speaker series at 7 p.m. Dan will be joined by longtime Board of Directors member Robert Hoopes, who, along with Kunkle, has been involved with the birth and evolution of LGNC. Learn the stories behind the stories while celebrating Dan’s conservation legacy.
• Oct. 26: The Autumn Refuge Hike with the Allentown Hiking Club will take place at 1 p.m. Hike along the Prairie Grass and Chestnut Oak trails. Wear sturdy shoes and bring water. This will be a 6 mile hike with a 600-foot elevation gain.
• Nov. 2, 6:30 p.m. A Fall Campfire and Astronomy event will take place for LGNC members at 6:30 p.m.
• Nov. 3: Join Muhlenberg College entomologist Marten Edwards at 3 p.m. as he presents his research on mapping the distribution of periodical cicadas in Pennsylvania. The discussion will also include a preview of what to expect in 2021, the next time that the Brood X cicadas will make their presence known. He will also present highlights from his studying on ticks in the Lehigh Valley region.
• Nov. 4: The Naturalist Club will meet at 4 p.m. The club is open to students in grades seven through 12. To sign up, contact Chad Schwartz, program specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Nov. 7: The Junior Naturalist Club will meet at the center at 4:30 p.m. The club is open to students in grades two through six. To sign up, contact Schwartz.
• Nov. 9: The More or Less 10K Trail Run and 2 Mile Scamper will take place on the grounds of the nature center. The scamper begins at 9 a.m. while the trail run begins at 9:30 a.m. For more information or to register, visit www.lgnc10k.com.