Thorpe, Marian get volleyball victories
Katelyn Rudy of Tamaqua (center) controls the ball despite pressure from Blue Mountain’s Megan Thompson (left) and Morgan Yuengling. RON GOWER/SPECIAL TO THE TIMES NEWS
Jim Thorpe and Marian both posted volleyball victories on Wednesday.
In cross country action, the Jim Thorpe boys, Tamaqua girls and Marian girls all recorded sweeps.
Williams Vy.-Jim Thorpe
Jim Thorpe knocked off Williams Valley for a 25-10, 25-18, 25-6 win.
Brandy Montemuro led the Olympians with 14 assists and five kills, while Abigail McGinley chipped in with 14 digs.
Grace Baldassano (10 assists), Katie DeMarco (eight digs) and Kristin Pompa (six kills) also contributed to the Jim Thorpe victory.
Marian-Notre Dame GP
Marian came out on top with a 25-16, 25-22, 25-21 non-conference win over Notre Dame of Green Pond.
Alivia Karchner led the Fillies with seven kills and six digs, while Ashlynn Klitsch chipped in with 27 assists.
Rebecca Dzuranin (seven kills, three blocks, three aces) and Macie Mazalusky (12 digs) also contributed to the win.
Northwestern opened Colonial League action with an 8-3 victory over Palisades.
Brynn Balliet led the Tigers with two goals and an assist, while Brinley Rex followed with two goals.
Teammates Ali Lister, Brooke Page, Reagan Hernandez and McKenzie Mosebach all chipped in with single scores.
Pottsville handed Jim Thorpe its first loss of the season with a 3-1 Schuylkill League Division I setback.
Lydia Wallace accounted for the Olympians’ lone goal.
Olympians’ keeper Kate Bos notched seven saves.
Three first-half goals helped Blue Mountain secure a 4-1 Schuylkill League victory over Tamaqua.
Jamie Zuber recorded the Blue Raiders’ lone goal.
Baylee Reinhardt grabbed 19 saves for the Blue Raiders.
Moravian Academy blanked Palmerton for a 4-0 Colonial League win.
The Lions’ sister combination of Chloe and Gaby Oudin combined to score all four goals, as both Chloe and Gaby recorded two goals each.
Lions’ keeper Anna Mayer posted seven saves to preserve the shutout.
Allentown Central Catholic shut out Tamaqua for a 5-0 win.
Sabrina Yurconic, Meagan Niechguiabowez and Renna Russo swept singles’ play for the Vikettes.
Allentown CC 5, Tamaqua 0
Sabrina Yurconic (ACC) def. Jocelyn Rega 6-0, 6-0; Meagan Niechguiabowez (ACC) def. Anjelika Bollentino 6-0, 6-0; Renna Russo (ACC) def. Nami Choi 6-1, 6-1.
Emma Sweterlitsch/Kara Wang (ACC) def. Sabrina Prattand/Megan Oswald 6-2, 6-1; Emily Wasson/Pyiya; Balashyam (ACC) def. Lesile Antonino/Leah Turner 6-1, 6-0.
Southern Lehigh earned a 391-428 Colonial League win over Northwestern.
The Tigers’ Luke Hallman, and the Spartans’ Cohen Resch and Roman Lisicky, tied for medalist honors with a score of 77.
So. Lehigh 391, Northwestern 428
Luke Hallman 77, Jake Dellicker 82, Joe Frey 84, Aiden Remaley 88, Tyler Stasko 97.
Cohen Resch 77, Roman Lisicky 77, Chris Andrews 78, Grayson Rudolph 79, Liam O’Brien 80.
Played at Wedgewood GC, par 71.
The Marian girls went a perfect 3-0 on the day at a Schuylkill League meet at Minersville.
The Weatherly boys’ fell short of perfection after finishing 2-1 on the day.
Meanwhile, the Marian boys and Weatherly girls went 1-2.
Danielle Gordon and Scotty Zoscin stole the spotlight, as the Wreckers’ duo shined on their own as both finished first in their respective meets.
Carolyn Mehallo led the Fillies’ with a second-place finish, while Gavin Vercusky earned a top 10 finish with a 10th-place finish.
Marian 15, Shenandoah Valley 40
Marian 15, Weatherly 50
Marian 15, Minersville 50
Shenandoah Valley 15, Weatherly 50
Weatherly vs. Minersville, no contest
1. Danielle Gordon (W) 22:22, 2. Carolyn Mehallo (Mar) 23:13, 3. Garce Curnow (Mar) 24:11, 4. Wentz (Min) 24:12, 5. Nicole Kreisl (Mar) 25:21, 6. Hertz (Min) 26:04, 7. Elizabeth Marshman (W) 26:12, 8. LaPoint (Min) 26:55, 9. Isabella Genao (Mar) 27:10, 10. Lisa Napoletano (Mar) 27:44, 11. Chagolla (SV) 28:37
Shenandoah Valley 26, Weatherly 31
Weatherly 22, Minersville 33
Weatherly 21, Marian 34
Shenandoah Valley 15, Marian 47
Marian 26, Minersville 29
1. Scotty Zoscin (W) 17:24, 2. Olayo (SV) 18:00, 3. Frankie Willis (W) 18:10, 4. Nunez (SV) 18:27, 5. Zamudio (SV) 18:37, 6. Boyle (Min) 18:42, 7. Jacob Parker (W) 18:43, 8. Monjaraz (SV) 18:44, 9. Stasulli (SV) 19:13, 10. Gavin Vercusky (Mar) 19:22
Sch. Haven-Blue Mountain
Tamaqua girls swept a Schuylkill League meet in Blue Mountain.
The Raiders followed with two wins, while the Lehighton girls walked off with a win.
The Blue Raiders’ Grace Stegemerten led the local harriers with a second-place finish, while teammate Frances Kabana followed behind in third. The Indians’ Kelsey Gaston notched a fourth-place finish.
Brandon Fogarty earned a Blue Raiders’ best with a fourth-place finish in the boys’ meet.
Lehighton 21, Schuylkill Haven 40
Blue Mountain 26, Lehighton 29
Tamaqua 26, Lehighton 29
Tamaqua 26, Blue Mountain 29
Tamaqua 15, Schuylkill Haven 50
1. Haas (BM) 19:52, 2. Grace Stegemerten (T) 22:36, 3. Frances Kabana (T) 23:14, 4. Kelsey Gaston (L), 5. L. Scheidel (BM), 6. Brianna Dumond (T), 7. Asia Arner (L), 8. Alyssa Williams (L), 9. Madison Cressley (L), 10. Laughlin (BM).
Schuylkill Haven 15, Lehighton 50
Blue Mountain 15, Lehighton 50
Tamaqua 21, Lehighton 35
Tamaqua 19, Schuylkill Haven 40
Blue Mountain 17, Tamaqua 46
1. Haas (BM) 18:01, 2. Phipps (BM) 19:42, 3. Scheidel (BM) 19:43, 4. Brandon Fogarty (T), 5. Harris (BM), 6. Rabenstein (BM), 7. Carr (BM), 8. Sherry (BM), 9. Tait Ehrig (T), 10, Petrizzo (BM).
Jim Thorpe-No. Schuylkill-
Panther Vy.-Pine Grove
The Jim Thorpe boys ran away with a Schuylkill League sweep in Pine Grove.
The Olympians scored victories over North Schuylkill (24-37), Pottsville (17-44) and Pine Grove (20-43). Meanwhile, the Jim Thorpe girls only notched a win against Pine Grove, 15-50.
Ryan Bailor paced the Olympians with a third-place finish, while Ben Seachrist (fifth), Ridge Snyder (sixth) and James Schwartz (seventh) followed.
Megan Rosahac recorded an Olympians’ best with a 10th-place finish.
North Schuylkill 16, Jim Thorpe 45
Pottsville 16, Jim Thorpe 45
Jim Thorpe 15, Pine Grove 50
1. C. McCormick (NS) 19:24, 2. Schwalm (NS) 21:27, 3. K. McCormick (NS) 22:24, 4. Schell (P) 22:44, 5. Love (PG) 23:29, 6. Donovan (P) 25:24, 7. Kuzio (NS) 26:04, 8. P. Mervine (P) 26:12, 9. M. DiCello (P) 26:19, 10. Megan Roashac (JT) 26:32
Jim Thorpe 24, North Schuylkill 37
Jim Thorpe 17, Pottsville 44
Jim Thorpe 20, Pine Grove 43
1. Anderson (PG) 17:42, 2. Flynn (NS) 18:16, 3. Ryan Bailor (JT) 20:02, 4. Williams (NS) 20:53, 5. Ben Seachrist (JT) 21:12, 6. Ridge Snyder (JT) 21:32, 7. James Schwartz (JT) 21:54, 8. Kokinda (PV) 22:03, 9. Bell (P) 22:05, 10. Budwash (P) 22:09
JR. HIGH BASKETBALL
Pine Grove edged Weatherly for a 27-21 win.
Bethany Houser led the Wreckers with nine points, while Brianna Pugh added eight.