Schuylkill League announces basketball playoffs
The Schuylkill League recently announced its playoff schedule and potential scenarios for boys’ and girls’ basketball.
Division 1 champion Jim Thorpe will face either Lourdes or Mahanoy Area Tuesday, Feb. 12 at 7:30 p.m. in the girls’ basketball semifinals.
• Lourdes plays Mahanoy Area tonight. The winner will play Tamaqua, the D1 wild card, in the other semifinal at 6 p.m. The loser will play Jim Thorpe.
On the boys’ side, Division 1 champion Pottsville will face either the Division 2 or 3 champion at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 13. Division 2 champion Lourdes will take on the D1 wild card winner in the other semi at 6 p.m.
• Blue Mountain will win the D1 wild card if it beats Tamaqua tonight. The Eagles could lose Friday and still earn the wild card spot since they hold the tiebreaker over the Raiders with a win in their first meeting.
• Tamaqua can win the wild card if it beats both Blue Mountain and Panther Valley the following night.
• A playoff tiebreaker will be needed if Tamaqua beats Blue Mountain and loses to Panther Valley, and Blue Mountain loses to Tamaqua and defeats Pine Grove.
• A tiebreaker will be held Monday at a site and time to be determined.
• The Division 3 race is a bit more complicated.
• Mahanoy Area holds the tiebreaker over Marian. But Nativity, which defeated Marian in the first meetin, holds the tiebreaker over Mahanoy.
• The Bears win the D3 title with victories Friday against Lourdes and Saturday over Weatherly.
• Nativity will take the title if it beats the Colts Friday and Mahanoy loses one of its two games.
• There will be a three-way tie if the Bears lose to Weatherly and Lourdes, and Marian beats Nativity. If a three-way tie occurs, games would be held on Sunday and Monday to determine the D3 champion, with sites and times to be determined. The team with the highest league power rating would be given a bye into Monday’s game, and the two remaining teams would play to determine who plays on Monday.
• A playoff will only be needed if there is a three-way tie.
The semifinals and finals will all be held at Martz Hall.