Skip to main content

3 Tamaqua row homes damaged in Sunday fire

Published May 20. 2019 12:56PM

Three Tamaqua row homes were damaged when fire broke out Sunday night.

The Tamaqua Fire Department was dispatched for a house fire at 217 Washington St. at 6:42 p.m.

Upon arrival, the first engine report smoke in the house, with fire in the basement. The house is in a row of six homes, 225 through 215. The fire was reported by Glee Krapf, who lives at 215 Washington St., to the Schuylkill County 911 Center. The fire was put out in approximately 20 minutes, with crews remaining on scene for an additional hour ventilating the neighboring homes and conducting overhaul.

Damage to 217, owned and occupied by Jared Labar and his girlfriend, was limited to the basement, with fire damage to the electrical, water and sewer lines. The origin of the fire was a heat lamp in an animal cage in the basement, which caught the wood shavings of the animal bedding on fire. The fire is considered accidental. The home also had three windows taken by the fire department to aid in ventilation of smoke and dispersal of heat. There was no insurance on the home.

The home at 215 Washington, owned by Glee Krapf, sustained smoke damage and fire damage in the basement on the common wall with 217. She has no insurance.

The home at 219 Washington, owned by Jeffery Knadler and his wife, sustained smoke damage and lost their front door to firefighters gaining access to the property. The Knadlers have insurance.

The remaining homes had minimal smoke damage.

The Schuylkill County Animal Rescue was called to the scene to assist in the handling and placement of a large amount of animals that were in the 217 Washington St. house.

Tamaqua Fire Department was assisted by the Tamaqua Police Department, Tamaqua EMS, Tamaqua Rescue Squad and the Carbon Rapid Intervention Team by Lansford and Summit Hill fire departments.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar

<<

August 2019

>>
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    

Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed